10/01/2009

The Blessing of the Lord

JMJ

Everything in our lives is a blessing from God whether we recognize it or not. We tend to think of positive things when we think of blessings like good health, prosperity, happy families, faith, hope, and love. Our adversities are also blessings...the most severe trials are blessings in disguise bringing the Cross of Christ very near to us. We are blessed with opportunities to grow in holiness, to be purified of our self-love, to learn patience, to unite ourselves more closely with Jesus and to help Him to save souls. All things DO work together for good for those who love God (see Romans 8:28). But there is one Blessing that stands out among the rest and that is the blessing that Jesus gives us Himself during the service that we call Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament.

Benediction, which means blessing, typically comes after a period of adoration of Jesus exposed in the Blessed Sacrament. It is a wonderfully special time where we can look upon Jesus face to face. His face is hidden in the Sacred Host, but with the eyes of faith, we can see Him quite clearly. And He sees us. He spends hour upon hour as a prisoner of love for us in our tabernacles just waiting for His friends to come and keep Him company, to adore Him, to talk to Him, to love Him. He asks, "Could you not spend one hour with me?" He so hungers for our love and He has so few lovers to come and receive all the blessings He wants to pour out upon us. His hands are filled with graces for us, true blessings, and often times they go unwanted.

Sometimes I think people are afraid to come and receive His blessing because there is singing involved at Benediction. And in Latin, a so-called dead language! Most people are not born with good singing voices, and it is human nature to feel self-conscious about sounding bad. I used to feel the same myself (and sometimes still do) as I have a weak voice and a bad ear. Thankfully, I have been blessed to know a young altar server who was not really the greatest singer, but who would sing with such zeal and gusto to our Lord Jesus that I was always inspired. He would take the greatest care to see that the sacred ceremonies were performed with attention and love and it really helped me to remember that I was there to adore and love my Lord, not hear myself sing! If God wanted me to be a better singer, He would have given me a voice like an angel. If I'm focused on my singing, I'm not focused on Jesus. Our own priest is not a Pavarotti either, but when he sings, my heart becomes so enflamed with love for God because I see that the Lord is making saints all around me. What a lovely sound it is! It takes a manly man to sing alone in front of people and I see in it the Holy Spirit pouring out His gifts of courage, fortitude, and piety. Jesus so delights in our little offerings of love. Our songs bring Him much honor, glory, and pleasure. I can use the example of my little neices who are 3 and 4. We were practicing singing Happy Birthday not long ago. The absolute look of joy on their faces as they thought of singing on the day of the birthday was so beautiful. Can you imagine if I would have said, "Mommy and Daddy won't like it because you sound bad...better just pretend to sing, but don't make noise?" Truly, God wants us to be like those innocent children with faces full of every good thing, with hearts full of purity, with voices full of love. And He wants us for Himself.


Oh, Jesus, Benediction is about to begin. They are getting the thurible ready and the Holy Angels are gathered about You. My heart begins to beat a little faster when I realize that You, my God, are going to personally bless me. Who am I, Lord, that You love so much to be right before me, giving me all Your attention. I, who am so often distracted in your presence...in the presence of my God and Savior? Have mercy, sweet Jesus, because You are Mercy. There is almost nobody left, Lord, to receive Your blessing. Where have they gone when You are about to distribute Your gifts? Your arms are full of treasure, but Your face looks sad that there are so few to receive Your presents. I will take them, my King, all that You wish to give me if You will be consoled. It's time; we kneel down and begin to sing Tantum Ergo Sacramentum... The incense wafts up to heaven...and Your love invades my heart. Thank You, my Lord, for not letting me leave You alone. How often do You make me wait hungering for Your peace, for Your presence, and then all of a sudden fill me with it at the end? You know how to teach perseverance. Thank You. It is time for You to bless us. Father lifts the monstrance high and makes the sign of the Cross over us. As we bend low in adoration, we sign ourselves: In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Oh God, how good you are! I love you, Jesus! Your blessing is a true kiss from heaven. You have written Your name into my soul never to be erased. How grateful I feel at this moment! And now we pray the Divine Praises together. How beautiful they are! Blessed be God...who can bless You enough? And Mary and St. Joseph...in Your angels and in Your saints...my family, my life. Next is the Heart of Jesus prayer...Your heart, Lord, Your love...oh that You would be praised and adored everywhere, my Jesus. Help me to love You more and more. Give me Your heart so I can love You; let this moment never end! Jesus! Father is going to place You back in the tabernacle. He gently takes You out of the monstrance. To hold Love in one's hands--what a mystery! I never tire of trying to understand it all. Who can fathom a God so full of Love as to be God with us? And now I'm sad Lord, that You are back in the tabernacle...I want to come in there, too, and keep You company forever. I console myself with the thought that I can take You home with me because You also live in my heart. You are always with me. Stay with me forever. Holy God, we praise Thy name...


Recommended Reading:
  • Visits to the Blessed Sacrament and the Blessed Virgin Mary by St. Alphonsus Liguori
  • Jesus, Present Before Me: Meditations for Eucharistic Adoration by Fr. Peter John Cameron, O.P.